Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Birth Story

The story of how Brooks came into this world.... :)
Brooks was born at 6:56 am Wednesday, July 30th.
Lets rewind to my last doctors appointment which was that Monday.  They did the routine exam and said that I was only dilated to a 1 but I was fully effaced.  My doctor was on vacation and so his nurse was checking me. She said that my stomach was measuring small for the last couple weeks and so that kind of got me worried a bit and so I was praying everything was okay.

I knew my body was getting ready for labor for a couple days prior to delivery but I obviously didn't know exactly when it would happen.  Well Wednesday in the early morning around 3:30ish I got up to go the bathroom (which was pretty normal) :) I soon realized it wasn't normal and that I possibly was in labor because of all the discharge.  A little while later I started having minor contractions which were completely bearable and so I started to get all my stuff ready to go (I procrastinated and had to do it last minute). I was also trying to hurry and clean up my house and Jordan was even so nice to do the dishes at 4 in the morning! (Thinking about it now it seems so silly...he probably thought I was crazy! :) 
Our really good friends that live right above us offered to watch Kambri and so we called them and Liz came down around 4:30ish. We got to the hospital around 5 and my contractions were getting stronger and stronger by the minute! They checked me in and I got my gown on but they never checked to see how dilated I was for like a half an hour. The nurse just asked me A TON of questions all while I was in so much pain....my contractions were getting intense! Finally around 5:30 she checked me and I was a 5. The nurse said she didn't realize I was that far into my labor.  I was trying to be so calm and collective during my contractions and so I don't think she realized how painful they were.  She asked if I wanted an epidural and I said YES! But the anesthesiologist didn't come for like another half an hour. By that time my contractions were coming back to back with like 30 second breaks. (It was painful) Again I have to say I handled it well...Jordan couldn't believe how calm I was being. (During my contractions I just closed my eyes and kept saying "I can do this" and for some reason that helped and made me feel better!) The anesthesiologist wanted to wait for a break in my contractions but I never really had a break so she just said hold still and gave me my epidural. After the anesthesiologist left the nurse asked how I was doing and I said I can still feel my contractions and that I felt like I needed to push really bad. So she checked me and I was fully dilated and ready. I just wanted to push so bad but the nurse hadn't even called the doctor to come. The nurse kept telling me over and over again, please don't push!!! The nurse kept pushing the button to give me more pain killer and finally the epidural started working and I wasn't able to feel my contractions and so I sat for another half an hour waiting for the doctor!
Right when the doctor came in... she sat down...I pushed once...then she said do you want to feel him! I was like what!? Already...then I pushed one more time and he was all the way out!
It was a crazy delivery....my nurse told me that she had never had a patient progress that fast before.
It was only a 3 hour labor and the best part about it was I had absolutely no pain afterwards.
Jordan thinks it's because I had chiropractic care and acupuncture all throughout my pregnancy....I think so too, but I also think my fast deliveries are partly genetics because that is how my mom and sister were as well.


A lot more to come....

3 comments:

Emily said...

i'm so glad you finally posted these! love them!! and that footprint on Jordan's arm is adorable!!!

Nicole said...

You look so pretty after having him:) He's so adorable!

Lisa said...

So sweet! He's a cutie.